Beach Clean up Boca Raton Florida
Ocean Cleanup Volunteers
Protect the Health of Our Oceans & Build a Brighter Future
"Beach cleanups are vital to protecting marine ecosystems because they remove plastic debris before it has the chance to wash out to sea and harm wildlife. As a beach cleanup volunteer, you’re contributing to the sustainability of our planet."
What You'll Need
By joining a cleanup, you’re contributing to the sustainability of our planet.
Essentials Ocean Cleanup
What to Pick Up during Your Cleanup
Litters & Debris
Even Small Bits, Animals can mistake them for food
like glass, aluminum cans, tin cans, plastic drinking bottles
plastics, metals, glass, styrofoam, foil wrappers, cloth, cardboard, paper, leftover food or food waste
A. By technical definition, microplastics are about the size of sesame seeds.
B. They often come from larger plastics that break down into smaller and smaller
C. Common sources of microplastics are plastic containers and bottles, bottle caps
and lids, packaging, ropes, and
Leave No Trace
Gloves, cleaning supplies, and anything
you brought with you; leave nothing behind but your footprints!
Cleanup Best Practices - Clean up events near me
- Split recyclables and trash into separate bags
- Tie trash bags and dispose in dumpsters (beware overflowing bins: they can cause items to fly away and end up back in the water)
- Don’t pick up weapons or anything that looks like it came from a hospital. Mark questionable items and inform your organizer or the lifeguard.
- If it occurs naturally in nature — like kelp, shells, driftwood — leave it be (try not disrupt animals and plants in the area)
- Know your cleanup zone boundaries and meeting times
- Take note of the nearest lifeguard station and know what to do in case of an emergency
Trying to Convince a friend to join you in a cleanup?
Trying to convince a friend to join you in a cleanup? Here are a few reasons why we should all care about the health of our waters:
- The ocean provides over 70% of the oxygen we breathe
- Rivers and oceans are important sources of food
- Seaweed is an ingredient in many consumer products and captures carbon from our atmosphere
- Scientists use marine organisms for lifesaving medicines
If we keep our waters healthy, we can keep our livelihoods and economies thriving, protect wildlife, enjoy water recreation, and build a brighter future for generations to come.