- This event has passed.
Santa Monica California At Will Rogers Beach Cleanup
October 9, 2021 @ 4:00 pm - 7:00 pm PDT
Meeting on the beach in Santa Monica California with Environmental Queers group to remove as much litter as possible.
Santa Monica CA – Will Rogers Beach Parking Lot – 1
What to Pick Up
How to stop ocean pollution - Beach cleanup near me
Litters & Debris
Even Small Bits, Animals can mistake them for food
like glass, aluminum cans, tin cans, plastic drinking bottles
plastics, metals, glass, styrofoam, foil wrappers, cloth, cardboard, paper, leftover food or food waste
Leave No Trace
Cleanup Best Practices
- Split recyclables and trash into separate bags
- Tie trash bags and dispose in dumpsters (beware overflowing bins: they can cause items to fly away and end up back in the water)
- Don’t pick up weapons or anything that looks like it came from a hospital. Mark questionable items and inform your organizer or the lifeguard.
- If it occurs naturally in nature — like kelp, shells, driftwood — leave it be (try not disrupt animals and plants in the area)
- Know your cleanup zone boundaries and meeting times
- Take note of the nearest lifeguard station and know what to do in case of an emergency
Volunteer With a Friend!
The pollution in our communities is a reflection of what’s hurting the ocean.
Whether you’re close to the water or not, you can fight ocean pollution with local changes. Make a difference by joining a community cleanup!
Most importantly, creating local community cleanups is a great way to teach youth the importance of healthy communities and clean water projects. Lastly, the more ocean plastic we can remove depends on Ocean Cleanup volunteers like you! Thank you for supporting Ocean Blue Project the save the ocean organization nonprofit.
Trying to convince a friend to join you in a cleanup? Here are a few reasons why we should all care about the health of our waters:
- The ocean provides over 70% of the oxygen we breathe
- Rivers and oceans are important sources of food
- Seaweed is an ingredient in many consumer products and captures carbon from our atmosphere
- Scientists use marine organisms for lifesaving medicines
If we keep our waters healthy, we can keep our livelihoods and economies thriving, protect wildlife, enjoy water recreation, and build a brighter future for generations to come.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.